At SHP we strive to infuse our students with a love for sport and exercise so that they can become lifelong active citizens with a broad knowledge of multiple disciplines. We do this by providing high-quality PE lessons and development opportunities for our children. We are also keen to improve the health outcomes of our children in an area that suffers from above-average levels of inactivity and obesity, by engaging them in challenging physical lessons, backed up by a range of extracurricular and competitive events.
- Play an active role in making society healthier both physically and mentally through the enjoyment of PE.
- Learn discipline, dedication and perseverance skills through PE that can be used in daily situations.
- Using equipment with thought and care, taking ownership of tidying up after P.E through equipment monitors.
- Learn about sportsmanship, fair play and gamesmanship.
- Sport is an excellent base from which to develop confidence as they can physically see the progress that they are making.
- We encourage our children to take part in a range of sports whilst building confidence in each of these aspects.
- Children in Year 1 to 6 take part in a federation game between GB and SHP building confidence in competitive events.
- We assess our learners via a streamlined version of the five elements of physical literacy (enjoyment, confidence, competence, understanding and knowledge). We combine some of these elements such as enjoyment and confidence and understanding and knowledge.
- We map out our curriculum so that it has a range of sports covered so that children can find a passion for a particular sport and so that we can identify as many talents as possible in order to help them flourish.
Click Here to look at our half termly PE Curriculum Map – This outlines expectations for each year group in terms of skill development each week.
Click Here to head back to the Wider Curriculum Page